Here are my (all errors and some additions are mine!) notes from our last meeting, where Keith Casey @CaseySoftware Developer Evangelist at Twillio.com presented.
REST. wait what?
Soap is to home mortgage as Rest is to borrowing lunch.
Pretty URL’s are (often thought of but) not related to REST.
- Restful Web Services (2007) by Richardson & Ruby
- Building Hypermedia API’s with HTML5 and Node (2011) by Mike Amundsen
Richardson Maturity Model (Martin Fowler’s concept) LEVELS:
- 0: Plain Old XML
- 1: Resources (nouns, core ORM objects usually; few)
- 2: Verbs (the HTTP verbs for create/read/update/delete/etc operations)
- 3: Hypermedia Controls (HATEOAS Hypermedia as the engine of application state = choose yr own adventure book)
- 4: The Glory of Rest (wtf)
Link Relations – e.g. Prev Next Up Down etc
- Link Relation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_relation (Wikipedia)
- Link Relation http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/links.html (WHAT WG)
Payload MIME type isn’t specified. Suggestions:
- JSON Collections
- JSON Path